Note for Second and Third editions
1. The Delian League: Its Origins and Early History
2. from Delian League to Athenian Empire
3. The Athenian Empire
4. Sparta: Her Problems and Her Ingenuity, 478-431
5. The Peloponnesian War, 431-404
6. Life within Sparta
7. Athenian De- mokratia 8. Citizen Women of Athens 9. Religious Prophecy at Athens Index
Anton Powell was for many years Director of the University of Wales Institute of Classics, and has also taught as Professor at leading universities in France. He has published extensively on Sparta and Athens, as well as the fall of the Roman Republic. He is founder and General Editor of the Classical Press of Wales.
We are all in huge debt to Anton Powell as publisher-scholar extraordinaire. With this new edition of Athens and Sparta he increases that debt mountain yet further. Intended as an ambitious combination of handbook for relative novices and provocation for established aficionados of Classical Greek history and culture, this accessibly written survey will in its revised form continue to inform and stimulate for many more years to come.
- Professor P.A. Cartledge, Clare College, Cambridge