I. What's Wrong with the Status Quo?
1. Why Restructure Electricity Markets?
2. Sector-specific Market Power Regulation vs. General Competition Law
3. Chile: Where It All Started
4. Electricity Liberalization in Britain and the Evolution of Market Design
5. The Nordic Market: Robust by Design?
III. Evolving Markets
6. The Electricity Industry in Australia: Problems Along the Way to a National Electricity Market
7. Restructuring of the New Zealand Electricity Sector, 1984-2005
8. Energy Policy and Investment in the German Power Market
9. Competition in the Continental European Electricity Market: Despair of Work in Progress?
IV. North America, New World, New Challenges
10. California Electricity Restructuring, the Crisis, and Its Aftermath
11. Texas: The Most Robust Competitive Market in North America
12. Electricity Restructuring in Canada
13. The PJM Market
14. Independent System Operators in the United States: History, Lessons Learned, and Prospects
15. Competitive Retail Power Markets and Default Service
V. Other Markets
16. The Case of Brasil: Reform by Trial and Error?
17. Understanding the Argentinian and Colombian Electricity Markets
18. A New Stage of Electricity Liberalization in Japan: Issues and Expectations
Dr. F.P. Sioshansi has nearly 30 years of experience working in analysis of energy markets, specializing in the policy, regulatory, technical and environmental aspects of the electric power sector in the US and internationally. His research and professional interests are concentrated in demand and price forecasting, electricity market design, competitive pricing & bidding, integrated resource planning, energy conservation and energy efficiency, economics of global climate change, sustainability, energy security, renewable energy technologies, and comparative performance of competitive electricity markets. Dr. Sioshansi advises major utility clients and government policy makers domestically and internationally on electricity market reform, restructuring and privatization of the electric power sector. He has published numerous reports, books, book chapters and papers in peer-reviewed journals on a wide range of subjects. Dr. Sioshansi edits and publishes EEnergy Informer, a monthly newsletter with wide international circulation. He is on the Editorial Advisory Board of The Electricity Journal where he is regularly featured in Electricity Currents section. He is a frequent contributor to Energy Policy and The Electricity Journal, and he serves on the editorial board of Utilities Policy. Major recent publications include the 2009 Elsevier volume, Electricity Generation in a Carbon Constrained World and the forthcoming 2010 book, In Search of A Carbon Neutral Future.