1. Awaken Children’s Senses to Delight in Nature
2. Nurture Children’s Emotional Development
3. Plan Outdoor-Related Experiences to Enhance Cognitive Development
4. Encourage Children’s Creativity With Natural Settings and Materials
5. Help Children Discover the Interconnectedness of Life
6. Use Nature Experiences to Help Children With Challenging Behaviors
7. Ignite Children’s Interest in Nature With Media
8. Engage Families and Communities in Enjoying and Preserving Nature
About the Author
Connecting Children to the Wonder of Nature
There’s a whole world outdoors waiting to embrace young children—with their curiosity, imagination, and enthusiasm—and to impart its treasures. Experiencing Nature With Young Children invites you to explore this world with children from birth to age 8 in ways that will:
- Awaken their enjoyment and appreciation of nature
- Nurture their emotional development
- Enhance their cognitive growth
- Spark their creativity
- Help them discover how we all—people, animals, plants—are connected
- Engage families and communities in preserving nature
Along the way, children will learn to love nature and its inhabitants. And in learning to love, they will learn to care—helping to ensure that our natural environment will be well looked-after by the next generation.
Part ballad to nature, part irresistible invitation to teachers, this book will awaken and renew your own joy in nature—and move you to experience it with young children.
Dr. Alice Sterling Honig is Professor Emerita of Child Development at Syracuse University, where for 36 years she directed the annual National Quality Infant/Toddler Caregiving Workshop. She has taught courses in parenting, prosocial development, observation and assessment, as well as cross-cultural and language development and research methods in studying children. She has received Syracuse University’s highest honor: “The Chancellor’s Citation for Exceptional Academic Achievement.” Dr. Honig was chosen by NAEYC to serve for six years as their Research in Review Editor for Young Children. Dr. Honig has published 600 articles and chapters, more than two dozen books, and several cassettes and videos for parents and caregivers, including a video on nurturing early language.
"This book is a delight, providing thoughtful insights and numerous practical ideas for nurturing young children’s involvement with nature. It beautifully integrates concepts about nature into all aspects of children’s lives."—Eva L. Essa, Foundation Professor Emerita, University of Nevada, Reno "The current educational focus on benchmarks has created learning environments that often sideline exploration and imaginative play. Honig not only reminds us of our responsibility to connect children with nature but also gives us a fabulous guidebook of easy ideas for outdoor experiences that will benefit all children."—Jennifer Caravello, Language Arts Teacher, Fayette County Public Schools, Lexington, Kentucky "Honig provides practical ideas that are appealing, accessible, and multisensory. While supporting the teaching of a love of nature to promote compassionate, ecologically minded citizens, she also shows us how experiences with nature can be the most valuable and rich learning opportunities in young children’s lives."—Elise Hansen, Preschool Director, Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin