2. Transforming Trauma into Hope and Power
3. Building the Courage to Hope Among Young Men
4. Creating a Healing Zone in San Francisco
5. Radically Healing Schools and Communities: Healing Centered Pedagogy and Forgiveness
6. Healing With Street Love
7. La Cutura Cura : How Culture Cures and Builds Activism
8. Ubuntuism: Concluding Notes on recreating Self, Society and Change
Shawn Ginwright is Associate Professor of Education in the Africana Studies Department and Senior Research Associate for the Cesar Chavez Institute for Public Policy at San Francisco State University.
"In this important new book, Shawn Ginwright reminds his readers that urban youth need far more than high test scores and college readiness if they are to succeed. Without hope and healing far too many youth will become victims of the bleak circumstances that limit and oppress them. He shows us how to undertake this transformation and in so doing, he reminds us of the power and potential that lie in engaging youth as agents of change."
--Pedro A. Noguera, Peter L. Agnew Professor of Education, New York University
"Shawn Ginwright's remarkable new book provides us with a powerful vision of radical healing through which teachers and community activists empower urban youth to challenge injustice and promote community health and well-being."
--John Rogers, Professor of Education, UCLA