For parents who have been knocked to the floor by bad news and plastered to the ceiling by unwelcome surprises . . . here's a book to prop you up, scrape you down, and (believe it or not) help you laugh again. Bad news is bad enough. .But bad news about your children carries a triple whammy of pain, worry, and "where did we go wrong!" An accident, an illness, an unwholesome lifestyle, a devastating decision―the truth about these awful events can turn your life upside down, isolate you from family and friends, drain you of hope, and overpower you with stress. If that's your experience right now, this book can be a lifesaver. Crammed with practical guidance and sanity-saving laughter, it's a gift of hope to you from "the queen of encouragement," Barbara Johnson and other men and women who are "out there on the dance floor of life, doing the lost-parent shuffle." Drawing on her personal experience, her years of ministering to parents in pain, and the letters she has received from hundreds of hurting (and healing) parents, Barbara Johnson shares:
- what you can expect in the days ahead―and how to cope
- what to do with your shock, pain, and guilt
- how to find grace for your ongoing stress
- how to love your kids without trying to "fix 'em"
- how to find comfort and encouragement in scripture, friendship, and the knowledge that you're not alone
- how to locate a support group―or start one of your own
- how to pull together with your spouse―instead of letting your pain pull you apart
She salts each chapter with wry observations, uplifting letters, sunny day-lifters, cartoons and just plain-funny one-liners―to life your spirits and bring you comfort. Whether you're stuck on the ceiling, groping through the tunnel, smoldering in the fire, or down for the count, this book can keep you moving and even keep you laughing through your tears as you travel the rocky path from "Why me, Lord?" to "Thank you, Lord."