1. What can we learn from a family history?
2. How can a patient's chromosomes be studied?
3. How do genes work?
4. How can a patient's DNA be studied?
5. How can we check a patient's DNA for gene mutations?
6. What do mutations do?
7. What is epigenetics?
8. How do genes affect our metabolism, drug responses and immune system?
9. How do researchers identify genes for mendelian diseases?
10. Why are some conditions common and others rare?
11. When is screening useful?
12. Is cancer genetic?
13. Should we be testing for genetic susceptibility to common diseases?
14. What clinical services are available for families with genetic disorders?
Guidance for self-assessment questions