Free Worldwide Shipping

Shop over 1 Million Toys in our Huge New Range

Not Just a Pretty Face

Coal tar in dandruff shampoo, lead in lipstick, and 1,4-dioxane in baby soap? How is this possible? Simple: The $35 billion cosmetics industry is so powerful that they've kept themselves unregulated for decades.

Not one cosmetic product has to be approved by the US Food and Drug Administration before hitting the market. Incredible? Consider this: The European Union has banned more than 1,100 chemicals from cosmetics. The United States has banned just nine. Only 11 percent of chemicals used in cosmetics in the United States have been assessed for health and safety-leaving a staggering 89 percent with unknown or undisclosed effects. More than 70 percent of all cosmetics contain phthalates, which are linked to birth defects and infertility. Many baby soaps are contaminated with the cancer-causing chemical 1,4-dioxane.

It's not just women who are affected by this chemists' brew. Shampoo, deodorant, face lotion, and other products used daily by men, women, and children contain hazardous chemicals that the industry claims are "within acceptable limits." But there's nothing acceptable about daily multiple exposures to carcinogenic chemicals-from products that are supposed to make us feel healthy and beautiful.

Not Just a Pretty Face delves deeply into the dark side of the beauty industry and looks to hopeful solutions for a healthier future. This scathing investigation peels away less-than-lovely layers to expose an industry in dire need of an extreme makeover.

Product Details

Table of Contents

Indecent Exposure; Not Too Pretty; Because Were Worth It!; Skin Deeper; Beauty Myth Busters; Pinkwashing; Because Were Worth It Too!; Tricks of the Trade; Unmasked; A Healthier Foundation; The Face of the Future; Extreme Makeover; Index.

Promotional Information

> The book will be advertised in The Progressive, Mother Jones, Utne, E Magazine and MS Magazine. > There will be a postcard mailing to Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, Physicians for Social Responsibility, and Health Care without Harm. > The book will be promoted with an Eblast sent out to health, teen, and progressive media offering them an opportunity to request a review copy, an interview, or an excerpt. > The author will be presenting at a variety of festivals in 2007.

About the Author

Stacy Malkan is communications director of Health Care Without Harm, and a media strategist and cofounding member of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a national coalition working to eliminate hazardous chemicals from personal care products. Stacy is a former journalist and newspaper publisher, and a longtime environmental health advocate who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ask a Question About this Product More...
Write your question below:
Item ships from and is sold by, Inc.
Back to top