Vietnam's most beloved culinary export-pho-is now within the reach of any home cook.
ANDREA NGUYENis an author, teacher, and consultant based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Born in Vietman, she came to the United States at the age of six. Her first book, a children's book, chronicles that journey. She has written a number of acclaimed cookbooks, including Into the Vietnamese Kitchen, Asian Dumplings, and The Banh Mi Handbook. Her food writing has appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Cooking Light, Lucky Peach, Saveur, and Rodale's Organic Life, where she is a contributing editor.
"Andrea Nguyen has done the English-speaking world a tremendous
favor with this book, the most authoritative guide to pho I've ever
seen. It dispels rumors, tells truths, and thoughtfully chronicles
Vietnam's rich but underexplored soup culture. Andrea lays out the
facts about pho in a way that makes you slurp them down, and then
chases the lessons with a stack of recipes that will send you
directly to the kitchen. The marriage of purpose and passion that
she's brought to this book is a rare thing."
- DAVID CHANG, coauthor of Momofuku and cofounder of Lucky Peach
"Andrea Nguyen is the world's greatest expert in
Vietnamese cooking. Her latest book is a stunning and comprehensive
guide to pho, that country's most delicious food. Everything you
ever wanted to know about pho is here: how to make it, how to eat
it, its history, its regional variations--and so much more. All
lovers of Asian food need to own this most extraordinary book."
- JAMES OSELAND, author Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore "Andrea Nguyen is the kind of writer who doesn't just show you how to follow her recipes, she also teaches you how to be a better cook. This book is a fantastic example. You'll learn how to make delicious pho while also gaining a whole new sensibility around an unfamiliar pantry. Buy this book. Cook from it. You'll end up a far better cook than you were before."
- PIM TECHAMUANVIVIT, proprietress of Kin Khao "Nguyen's recipes are a cook's dream: well tested, easy to follow, and written in a friendly, conversational style. This is not unique to The Pho Cookbook; cooking from any of Nguyen's books is like listening to an incredibly patient friend explain a recipe over the telephone."
- Lucky Peach
"Nguyen is a master teacher when it comes Vietnam's national dish, and in her new book she provides meticulously clear instructions for every imaginable variety--we recommend you cook through every chapter."
- Food & Wine "With the same clarity and care displayed in her previous books, Nguyen guides even the nervous first-time pho navigator to slurp-worthy success."
- NPR.org, Best Books of 2017 "Great for: Pho addicts or home cooks enamored with fragrant broths and Vietnamese comfort food."
- Bay Area News Group "For lovers of pho, the hearty and delicious Vietnamese noodle soup, this is a wonderfully approachable guide to making your own at home."
- NPR's Here & Now Best Cookbooks of 2017