2. Claude's Allegories and Literary Neoclassicism
3. Secular Tragedy: Neoclassicism in the Sixteenth Century
4. Allegory and Passion: Latin Dramatic Forms in the Seventeenth Century
5. The Allegorical Idioms of the Illusionist Stage: Spectacle in the Seventeenth Century
6. Opera and Dance: The Revival of Greek Tragedy
7. The Greek Revival: German Classicism and the Recovery of Spoken Drama
8. Wagner and the Death of Gesamtkunstwerk
Coda: "This insubstantial pageant"
Jane K. Brown is Professor of Germanics and Comparative Literature at the University of Washington, Seattle. She is the author and editor of several books in English and German, including Goethe's Faust: The German Tragedy and Ironie und Objektivitat: Aufsatze zu Goethe, and is the former President of the Goethe Society of North America.
"An ambitious survey of a great deal of culture, attempting links and connections on a grand scale."--David Bevington, University of Chicago "A learned, fascinating book."--Choice