Table of Contents
Introduction: True Catholic Womanhood
1. Modernity and the Woman Question
2. The Francoist Recovery of Tradition
3. Catholic Womanhood and Consumerism
4. Knowledge and Power in the Francoist University
5. The Women's Section of the Falange
6. In Their Own Words: Women in Higher Education
Conclusion: Authoritarian Politics and Modernity from a Gender Perspective
This study not only offers us a new perspective on the Franco
Regime but also constitutes a major contribution to scholarship on
gender and authoritarianism and on gender and consumer culture.
*Journal of Modern History*
The broadest and most important book in English on women under Franco.... There is nothing comparable.
*Pamela Radcliff, University of San Diego*