- Booker T. & The MG's: Booker T. Jones (organ); Steve Cropper (guitar); Lewis Steinberg (bass); Al Jackson, Jr. (drums).
- Recorded in Memphis, Tennessee in June & August 1962.
- Includes liner notes by Bob Altshuler.
- Personnel: Steve Cropper (guitar); Booker T. Jones (organ); Al Jackson, Jr. (drums).
- Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
- Liner Note Author: Rob Bowman.
- Recording information: Memphis, TN (06/1962-08/1962); The 5/4 Ballroom, Los Angeles, CA (06/1962-08/1962).
- Released in 1962, the first full-length album by Booker T. & the MG's, GREEN ONIONS, revolves around the classic, slow-burning, organ-led instrumental title track. It's impossible to overstate the importance and impact of this, the band's biggest chart hit, which oozes smokey cool as Steve Cropper's strangled guitar cries and Booker T.'s terse keyboard bursts criss-cross over a framework that prefigures everything from funk to dub. Al Jackson and Lewis Steinberg keep the rhythm firmly in the pocket here and on covers such as "I Got a Woman" and the chill, down-tempo blues of Acker Bilk's "Stranger on the Shore." Together, the MG's (short for Memphis Group) developed a collective groove that would prove crucial to the development of '60s soul.
Q (3/95, p.121) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "...Tight, smokey and studiously economical, much of this 1962 debut is as sharp as 'Green Onions' itself....These tunes still sound smart, sharp and swinging."