- Personnel: Bill Frisell (guitar); Fred Hersch (piano).
- Audio Mixer: Elliot Scheiner.
- Recording information: Avatar Studios, New York, NY.
- Photographer: Andrew Eccles.
- Arrangers: Ren‚e Fleming; Fred Hersch.
- Although soprano Ren‚e Fleming is renowned for her classical work, on 2005's HAUNTED HEART, the opera diva surprises listeners with an artistic curveball. Here Fleming not only takes on the songs of pop icons (Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, the Beatles), she also sings in a distinctively different voice, employing a deep tone and soul-inspired phrasing. As always, her talent shines through, but on this record, it is often cast in another light. Fleming's sole accompanists are pianist Fred Hersch and guitarist Bill Frisell, two remarkably intuitive artists who perfectly complement Fleming's expressive singing with spare yet atmospheric backing, whether playing with her separately or together. Fans of all three acclaimed performers will undoubtedly be pleased and intrigued by HAUNTED HEART, an album that combines pop and classical traditions to stunning effect.
JazzTimes (p.78) - "The results are as stylistically diverse as they are uniformly gorgeous."