- Dire Straits: Mark Knopfler (vocals, guitar); John Illsley (bass); Pick Withers (drums).
- Additional personnel: Roy Bittan (keyboards).
- Recorded between July and August 1980.
- All tracks have been digitally remastered.
- The last album of their career that sounded as if they were trying to play, instead of going through the motions. David Knopfler had already departed from the band and brother Mark had a free rein, clear from any sibling rivalry. "Solid Rock," "Tunnel Of Love," "Romeo And Juliet" and "Skataway" would be on any decent greatest hits package. Following this artistic triumph they proceeded to release LOVE OVER GOLD, and we all know what album followed after that, don't we?
Rolling Stone - #52 in Rolling Stone's "100 Best Albums Of The 80s" survey.
Q (7/96, p.141) - 5 Stars - Indispensable - "...nailed to a pop groove, accessible but worth coming back to....evidence that pub rock roots were not forgotten..."