- Personnel includes: Michael Nyman (conductor, piano); Andrew Findon (flute, tenor & baritone saxophones); John Harle, David Roach (soprano & alto saxophones).
- Recorded at Arco Studios, Munich, Germany. Includes liner notes by Michael Nyman.
- Composer: Michael Nyman .
- Personnel: Michael Nyman (piano).
- Audio Mixer: Austin Ince.
- Recording information: EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England; Whitfield Street Studios, London, England.
- Director: Michael Nyman .
- Editor: Austin Ince.
- Photographer: Michael Nyman .
- This crossover hit, the soundtrack to Jane Campion's film, is subtle, pretty, and just a little bit bland. Nyman keeps the theatrics to a minimum, crafting an evocative work that manages to be both personal and universal. He also lets the music run its course, never pushing or cutting off a piece until it says what it needs to. A towering commercial achievement from a decidedly non-commercial artist. ~ Michael Gallucci
Entertainment Weekly (10/12/01, p.44) - Ranked #92 in EW's "100 Best Movie Soundtracks" - "...[This] hynotic, undualting score is a lot more than background music; it's a key voice in the film..."