- Jefferson Airplane: Grace Slick, Spencer Dryden, Marty Balin, Jack Casady,
- Paul Kantner, Jorma Kaukonen, Signe Anderson, Skip Spence.
- Producers: Matthew Katz, Tommy Oliver, Rick Jarrard, Al Schmidt.
- THE WORST OF JEFFERSON AIRPLANE features material from 1966-1969.
- Jefferson Airplane: Paul Kantner (vocals, guitar); Marty Balin, Grace Slick, Signe Anderson (vocals); Jorma Kaukonen (guitar, background vocals); Jack Casady (bass guitar, background vocals); Skip Spence, Spencer Dryden (drums).
- The title, of course, is an ironic joke and very much emblematic of the Airplane's sensibility; this was a group, you'll recall, that would go on to give its own version of Apple Records the not-so-user-friendly moniker Grunt. In any event, on its own obviously un-definitive terms, THE WORST OF JEFFERSON AIRPLANE is actually a very nice package, with all the radio hits (i.e., "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit") plus a smart selection of some of the band's better album tracks (the undeservingly obscure "Crushingura"), and a blistering previously unreleased live version of "Plastic Fantastic Lover."
Rolling Stone (2/4/71, p.55) - "...reduced to one LP, this is as good as it can be..."
Dirty Linen (p.85) - "It's a psychedelic trip drenched in paisley and incense and hemp."